Have arthritis in knee and have leg pain, feels like swollen. How to deal with it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having an issue with my right knee. I am female, 46, 5'9", and weigh 168. The problem began a few weeks ago after cycling. I have arthritis in that knee, but this is a pain behind the knee and extends up and down into the thigh and calf at times. It feels like its swollen, but it isn't. I guess it is more tight than anything. I kept exercising on it, hoping it would work out. I do a lot of walking, some running and hiking. I'm just wondering what it might be and how to deal with it.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be Baker's cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

I am thinking of three options here,
It could be due to stretched muscles in your leg.
Other option is sciatica which does give pain on the back of the leg without back pain.

One more option is Baker's cyst which is a cyst on the back of the knee which is common in arthritic knees.

I will recommend using anti- inflammatory tablets if no contraindication for few days to see if symptoms are going to improve.

Wish you speedy recovery

Follow-up: Have arthritis in knee and have leg pain, feels like swollen. How to deal with it? 9 minutes later
Thank you - I think that maybe I hyper extended it a bit when I was cycling. I'm new to cycling and one puts the seat high enough to have full extension. I thought that with my arthritis, perhaps that allowed me to over extend a bit. Then, of course, I kept being active on it until now it is a more persistent problem. Is there anything specific I should do if it is from hyper extension. What is a good anti-inflammatory drug?
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rest for few days

Detailed Answer:

If it is stretched muscles then take it easy with exercises and it should be enough.
Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day after meals should be good enough. If not strong enough for you then take with it Paracetamol 1g four times a day.

Try not to take the anti inflammatory more than one week to avoid its side effects

Best wishes