Have arthritis in hip and knee ultrasound showed a small effusion. Best treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am experiencing groin and outer hip pain, very painful when moving from sitting to standing, unable to move feels like it is locked for a short time. Sitting and laying down doesn't relieve the pain. Have had xray and ultrasound. Have arthritis in my hip & knee and ultrasound showed a small effusion. Five days ago I had a cortisone shot into my hip but without any relief. Feeling frustrated and tired of the pain. What can I do?
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Conservative treatment is indicated

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Conservative (Non-surgical) method of treatment is initially advocated for all patients with arthritis of hip which include -

*ACTIVITY MODIFICATION - It is mandatory to maintain as much activity and joint motion without involving in impact activities. Running and jumping will often accelerate cartilage loss from the joint. The key is to focus on low impact activities, such as swimming or cycling. These are the best forms of exercise with arthritic hips as they do not require significant weight bearing across the hip joints

* USE OF WALKING AIDS - like sticks and canes. It is important to use the cane in the opposite hand from the bad hip . This allows you to lean away from the bad leg, taking weight off of it. It is also important to adjust the height of the cane so that the hand height rests comfortably along your side, preventing stooping or poor posture.

* MAINTAINING OPTIMUM WEIGHT - Significant weight loss for obese patients can make a dramatic difference in the gait pattern. Weight loss is also important for increasing the life span of a joint replacement

* HIP INJECTIONS - Injection therapies do not "cure" the underlying problems of arthritis, but can be useful for short term relief (for a few months) . Either steroids or Hyaluronic injections can be given with good short term results.

* NSAID'S - Ibuprofen or Naprosyn are mostly useful in the early stage of arthritis. In severly painful cases, Narcotic medications like Oxycodone, Hydrocodone can be tried.

* GLUCOSAMINE & CHONDROTIN SULPHATE preparations - There is some evidence that these work by decreasing the inflammation in the joint and makes the patient feel better on long term usage.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications