Have arthritis. Swallowed small amount of bleach. Is this the cause for concern?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 64 year old woman, swallowed who just accidentaly swallowed about a quarter of a cup of bleach. My dogs lapped up some from the floor. I made myself barf right after I swallowed it and then a glass of water. Then I slept for about a half a day (ten hours) I am 5'4' , 148 pounds, and in pretty good health except for brutal arthritis. Thanks.
Also mention your age, height, weight and medical history. A detailed query is important to get you a relevant answer from the doctor. I
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
1. A small amount of Bleach is not XXXXXXX but it can irritate the delicate lining (mucosa) of the airway, lungs, food pipe and stomach.

2. The irritation or allergy due to bleach may lead to XXXXXXX swelling after a few hours, hence I recommend that you consult a doctor immediately, especially if you have cough or difficulty in breathing, in which case you may be admitted for observation.

3. Have a few tablespoons of Liquid Paraffin IP (medical grade) if available to dilute the traces of bleach and to soothe the XXXXXXX linings.

4. I will again stress that since you have vomited out some of the bleach and if the quantity was under 20 ml, there should be no major cause for worry.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.