Have arthritis. Having pain in knee and hurts to walk. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm a cheerleader and I tumble. Tumbling is where you flip like gymnast do. I was doing a round off backhand spring tuck were you go into the air rotate and land on feet. While I was landing I have a habit of landing on my heels and you're suppose to land on toe and right when I landed my left knee started hurting. It's throbbing I can't find where is specifically hurts its jut everywhere. Also it hurts to walk.
Also this is the first time this has happened. I have arthritis in the right knee but this case feel extremely different.
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
You must have hurt your XXXXXXX structures in knee while tumbling, which are anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage and bone itself. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray of the knee and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.