Have arm pain after taking rabies and tetanus injection. Can I take alcohol?

Jun 2015

I hv just tkn my first rabies injection today n yesterday a tetanus.both my arms are it okay if I have 4 pegsof rum with coke to sleep sound at night
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Alcohol consumption is not advisable Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Alcohol should not be taken for 24 - 48 hours after administration of Rabies vaccination. This is because of the following reasons: 1. There may be unexplained interactions between efficacy of the vaccine and alcohol intake. 2. Rabies vaccination provides immunity against rabies infection while consumption of alcohol decreases the body immunity. This is scientifically proven in various studies. 3. Individuals who receive the Rabies vaccine may experience symptoms such as headache, nausea, dizziness, etc. which are similiar to the symptoms experienced by intake of alcohol. So, keeping in mind the above mentioned facts, consumption of alcohol is not advisable. The pain in your arms can be controlled by intake of analgesic anti-inflammatory agents like Paracetamol or Ibuprofen (to be taken after meal). Wishing you a good health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.