Have anxiety disorder, had pain in hand, wrist and arm with bone pain. Is bone scan needed?

Hi. 30 year old female. Generalized anxiety disorder. 2 weeks ago started having pain in left hand, wrist, and arm. A couple days later pain is in right side. Now it is in both hands, fingers, ankles, feet and toes. Feels like my bones hurt. Should I get a bone scan for bone cancer? The pain hops around from spot to spot but is always there.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult general physician and rheumatologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

From your problems, it appears that you might possibly having weakness in your bones or probably an athritis affecting your joints. Even infections can present in the manner described by you and it would be important to know if you had sore throat in the last few weeks.

There are so many possibilities that without complete clinical examination it is not possible to narrow down to a particular diagnosis.

Let me assure you that bone cancer comes far below in the list of possibilities and it would be better to consult a general physician and rheumatologist who can guide you with your problems. They will do the necessary clinical tests and provide treatment as felt necessary.

I understand your general anxiety condition, I would suggest you attend an appropriate cancer screening clinic for peace of mind.

Any further queries are welcome.
I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Have anxiety disorder, had pain in hand, wrist and arm with bone pain. Is bone scan needed? 55 minutes later
Thank you. I have scheduled a blood panel tomorrow that hopefully can give me some guidance. I immediately focus on bone cancer because I am a hypochondriac.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with a n update.

I am glad that you are scheduled for a blood panel tomorrow and hopefully it is nothing worrisome.

Bone cancer is a very rare diagnosis and I am sure you are not having it.

Best wishes.
Dr.A.Rao Kavoor