Have anxiety disorder. Have fatty liver. Head spinning. What is the cause?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have an anxiety disorder. Anything illness/health related causes me to get upset. On Friday i came home to a message on my answering machine saying my ALT / AST test results came in and i need an appointment. I know i have a fatty liver and am trying to lose weight - since thats the only think my Dr told me to do. Now, my head is spinning that my numbers are worse than they were 3 months ago. My long weekend is ruined and i am just upset and crying. What is going to happen to me?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail and find that you shouldn't cry and spoil your weekend over your health test results.

Liver function tests are an indicator of certain cell functions in the body, most likely the liver. I would suggest you write in the results of your AST/ ALT (old and recent reports) and I will explain the significance in detail. Detaild regarding any other health condition/ medication being taken would also be desirable. You may also include iformation on your present weight, BMI, lifestyle and fitness activities.

Sometimes, these tests may show slightly higher levels in normal healthy individuals.

Waiting for an update from your end.
Hope this helps.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Have anxiety disorder. Have fatty liver. Head spinning. What is the cause? 38 hours later
My BMI is 36.4. I have been following Dr Cabots 'fatty liver book' recommendations. I went to my GP this morning for my lab test results and he would not give me any numbers, knowing with my anxiety i would fixate on them. So i cant get any numbers for you. He did order a Gluten test, an iron test and a copper test because too much of those could cause my bloodwork not to be in the normal range. He again told me to exercise. He didnt tell me to come back and get my ALT AST retested. Im feeling abandoned by his lack of help. Ive been exercising with a trainer for 3 years so i've been trying. Its just not enough and im filled with fear about my future .

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX Prefontaine,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

As mentioned, your BMI at 36.4 is slightly on the higher side. As your GP has ordered gluten, iron and copper tests, he must be having certain conditions in mind which he wants to rule out in you. Raised ALT and AST do not simply convey mush information in this regard. I would like you to keep records of your cholesterol tests. That has an important role in monitoring your state of health.

Its true that you might be exercising with a trainer for 3 years, if you are not getting desired results, you may discuss in detail with your trainer and include dietary modifications in association with a nutritionist. Please try to cut down on alcohol, smoking and high cholesterol foods.

Anxiety takes away significant time from our schedules and has got several negative impacts on our social life also. I suggest you could consult a psychiatrist and discuss your fears and methods of managing them. Anxiety can affect one out of four individuals who have slightly higher BMI. It is not unusual and you must try to minimise it using available means.

Waiting for an update from your end.
Hope this helps.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Have anxiety disorder. Have fatty liver. Head spinning. What is the cause? 2 days later
I dont drink alcohol, ever. I have never smoked. I believe my cholesteral consumption is not high, it is sugar that i crave, not fat.
My trainer only gives me exercise information and had declined to give me nutritional information. I am allergic to milk, cinnamon, sesame seeds and bananas so i cant follow a generic diet.
I have pain just under my ribcage on my right side. Could this be from my NFLD liver?

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX Prefontaine,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

A healthy liver should contain little or no fat. Most people with NAFLD (symptoms and isn't harmful to the liver. This early form of the disease is known as simple fatty liver, or steatosis.

Only a few people with simple fatty liver go on to develop stage 2 of the condition, called non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). A person with XXXXXXX may have a dull or aching pain felt in the top right of their abdomen (over the lower right side of their ribs).

The correct diagnosis however needs to be made after complete clinical examination and investigations.

Regarding nutrition information, I suggest that you consult a nutritionist for a personalized diet plan and follow it strictly. Proper nutrition is important for your condition.

Hope this helps.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor