Have anxiety, bipolar and back discomfort. Have hard lump on thumb. Have arthritis. Suggest

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am iddm have anxiety,bipolar back discomfort very sore neck joints bur I am concerned about a firm hard lump on the side of my middle thumb joint I have had a xray which said I do have arthritis in my hands but not major
suffering a lot of pain in neck with pain extending down arm
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
The pain in the neck extending down the neck is likely to be due to cervical spondylosis. It is not related to the swelling in the thumb.
There a few possibilities as to what a lump on the thumb can mean. These are
1. Ganglion Cyst: This is because muscle tissues in the area of the joints can become inflamed through strains, sprains or repeatedly being injured.
2. Synovial Cyst: is again a fluid-filled sack
3. Lipoma
4. Bursitis: This is also a infectious tissue.
To get rid from this problem you may need a course of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs. Usually these types of lumps get recovered by medications. But it is always advisable to consult your doctor and get clinically examined. Nothing can be commented without clinical examination of the lump. So feel free to consult your doctor for proper treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.