Have anxiety attacks sometimes. Recommend herbal remedy for anxiety?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hello doctor, can u please recomend a herbal remedy for anxiety. I have anxiety attacks sometimes and i dont know what to do about it. Does homeopathy help ? Can u recomend sum herbs or tea ?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Major Affective Disorder

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and before I proceed further do help me with following concerns:
1. Is anxiety attacks related with some threat or treatment interventions?
2. is anxiety manifested due to some illness?
3. is anxiety a symptom of some withdrawal?
4. before I consider your Anxiety as a psychiatric problem or rush to prescribe herbal medicine or any Alternative system of Medicine, do let me know about any of these possibilities to know more about the evaluation and management of your problem.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika Clinic
Follow-up: Have anxiety attacks sometimes. Recommend herbal remedy for anxiety? 3 hours later
Hello doctor i believe i have always had general and social anxiety but it has become highly agrivated as i am going through alcohol withdrawal. I have always faced anxiety problems in past for which i was prescribed medicine(prozac) i am still taking it on and off...i was wondering what medicine do u suggest to calm down my nerves and make me stop thinking so much
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psychosomatic & Detoxifying Treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back with your concerns.

1.As you said main cause is Alcohol withdrawal, thus if you have quitted it all together abruptly, thus causes severe withdrawal symptoms due to excess intake in the past, so one has to “gradually” detoxify from alcohol by tapering the dose or by use of medicines.
2.And because you had social and general anxiety this reflects ‘emotional withdrawal symptoms” rather than “physical withdrawal symptoms” i.e. you have a constant fear of being judged or evaluated by and has resulted in anxious thoughts and anxious behavior.
3.Avoid: excess physical –mental exertion, sun exposure, corrylium, smoking, errhine therapy, betel leaves, gruel, soup, day time sleeping, garlic, ginger, onion, spicy-heavy- junk food, mustard oil, pickles.
4.Take: mint, coriander, tomato, cumin, plenty of water, vitamins and mineral supplements, XXXXXXX banana,grapes,dates
5.Prescription drugs available for alcohol de addiction are: Shrikhand Assav, mahakalyanak avleha, ashtang lavan, kharjooradi XXXXXXX smritisagar ras,trifla churan,brihat vata chintamani ras,ghritkumari, ashwagandha, brahmi,jatamansi, stresscom.
6.You can practice: bhujangasana,halasana, paschimottasana, sarvangasana, shalabhasana, shavasana and vakrasana and pranayamas like bhastrika and kapalbhati.
7.Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest.
i.Take 1 spoon black pepper powder and 5 spoons jaggery in 4 cup water and boil till 2 cups remain, filter it and drink for 1 month.
ii.Take 3 teaspoons of bitter gourd with a glass of water every morning for a month.
iii.Mix 4-5 dates in half glass of water and drink 2 times daily for a month.
iv.Regular intake of Applereduces thirst for wines or any type of liquor.
v.Honey has the power to neutralize harmful effects of alcohol.
vi XXXXXXX almond, banana, broccoli, cantaloupe, melon, carrot, cashew nut, corn, cauliflower, grapes, guava, lemon, mango, orange, pineapple, soybean, spinach have anti oxidant and detoxifying properties so take them in plenty.

Do revert back with your concerns
Dr. Munish Sood