Have anxiety and stress, lost weight. Drinking Ensure. Is this safe?

I have anxiety & stress/ I have lost a lot of weight. I am very petite frame. So this is not good to me.
I have seen the doctor who has given me CBT and nutriconist help. they have set a calorie diet and I have days that I am unable to XXXXXXX this due to my anxiety.
I am drinking Ensure Plus one or two times a day. Is this safe? and how many can I take a day? and how long for?
I really want to put on weight so saw this as a good option. Also, can I get these on prescription?

Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 32 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Have all the causes of anxiety and stress been ruled out? Eg. anaemia, thyroid disorders, Vitamin B12 defeciency, electrolyte imbalances, abnormal blood sugar levels. Sometimes these conditions can present with symptoms of anxiety. I would advise you to get the following blood tests done, if not done already: Hemoglobin, thyroid function tests, Vitamin B12 levels, elecytrolyte levels, blood sugar levels.

I would also advise you to sign up for yoga . Yoga if done regularly will be beneficial for your physical and mental well being. However, results are not immediate. You will have to do it regularly to see good results.

There is no harm in taking Ensure plus once or twice a day. Ensure plus upto twice a day should be ok. You can take it till you attain your target weight. I guess you can buy ensure plus online. I don't think it requires a prescription.

However, it is not enough to just have ensure plus. You have to supplement this with healthy , well balanced meals. Please follow your nutritionist's advise regarding this.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Have anxiety and stress, lost weight. Drinking Ensure. Is this safe? 9 days later
Hi there,

Thank you for the reply.

I have requested these tests. I am always very weak and tired due to the anxiety and lack of appetite.

In the meantime is it safe to take B12 suppliments or B supplements? or is there anything I can take to improve the above?

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If you have already given your blood for the tests, please wait for the results. I would advise against taking vitamin supplements unless it is absolutely necessary.

Then again, there is no harm in taking vitamin B complex as a daily supplement.
But , the best thing you can do for your body is drink 8-10 glasses of water a day, have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, eat well balanced meals including cereals,pulses,sprouts etc.

Yoga is very important. Please consider signing up for yoga if you have a good yoga instructor in your area.

I hope you will follow my advice.