Have anxiety and OCD, rubbing tongue on teeth

Question
rubbing my tongue across teethi recently found out i have a bad cavity under and old silver filling. but thats not the problem, i have high anxiety and ocd, and the stress of the time before i could get the tooth pulled and something serious happening to me because i had aorticstanosis (sorry probably not spelled right) when i was 5. i am now 23; i have been rubbing my tongue on all my teeth and now my teeth are bothing me but icant stop
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
hi
thanks for the query.
actually the problem you are having is not purely OCD but however it is having mild correlation with. the problem of rubbing your tongue with your teeth is a habit but not a disease. almost everyone do it as there is some sharp feeling at the cavities. i felt it too after having scaling for my teeth. what you have to do is to quit the habit of rubbing your tongue with your teeth and if you are really having any problem with the cavity then have an appointment with the dentist so the that the edges can be made smooth and polished so that you cannot feel it sharp on your tongue edge. for your anxiety you can use alprazolam 0.5mg for one week before sleeping.
feel free for further queries
thanks
Dr. M Ishfaq Habib

Follow-up: Have anxiety and OCD, rubbing tongue on teeth 3 minutes later
thankyou so much, do you have any suggestions for breaking the habit? cause i cant keep my mind off of it and now my teeth are very senstive..

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 9 minutes later
hi
thanks for the reply
well there are many ways of breaking this habit. first i would recommend to have a check up with the dentist to rule out if you are really having some cavity problem. but if there is no cavity problem then a simple way is to use a soft chewing gum and whenever you want to rub your teeth, try to place the gum in between your teeth and tongue. remember to get rid of this habit, you have to try hard to develop an other habit and it all depends on your will power. second options is you can use a local gargles of xylocaine oral solution which anesthetize your mouth and tongue and you do not feel your teeth but prolong use of that carries some adverse effects
thanks
regards
Dr. M Ishfaq Habib

Follow-up: Have anxiety and OCD, rubbing tongue on teeth 4 hours later
thankyou so much and i have my appt Thursday but im just making thm worse day by day.
thanks again

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 8 hours later
its my pleasure
you are always welcome
regards
Dr. M Ishfaq Habib