Have anxiety. Shoulder pain, sweating, tinnitus. Taken Klonopin. Need help

Dec 2014

I suffer from severe anxiety sometimes with no cause for it. It is interfering with the quality if my life. I have a lot of pain in my shoulder blades and upper body, profuse sweating,tinnitus. Years ago i was prescribed klonopin for it and it helped immensely. That doctor became ill and closed her practice. I can't find another doctor to help me. I am not a drug addict. i am a 53 year old woman seeking help. I have tried all sorts of natural things, even acupuncture doesn't help. I am to the point that i cannot go on living like this.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 48 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are a 53 years old female, you are having symptoms of profuse sweating, tinnitus, pain in shoulder blades and severe anxiety. You have history of L2, L3 degeneration and hysterectomy. You have been prescribed Clonazepam and you were responding to it but later stopped. You have tried acupuncture but no help.

It is definitely anxiety disorder. Most likely the symptoms are due to Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Treatment of anxiety consists of both Pharmacological and Non pharmacological. But before any treatment I will advise you to get your Blood Investigations done. Anxiety may be a presenting feature in Anaemia (Low Hemoglobin). Thyroid Function Tests should also be done. Hyperthyroid stage may present with anxiety.

Now coming to treatment-
Pharmacological consists of medicines for immediate relief like Etizolam, Clonazepam (klonpin). But these medicines are a little addicting so should not be used for prolonged period of time. Other medicines like propranolol can also be used, these are non addiction and provide immediate relief. Other medicines as SSRI like Sertaline, Fluoxetine are also prescribed for anxiety. They take time to act but treats the biochemical abnormality of anxiety.

Non pharmacological management is also equipotent to medicines. Behavior therapy by a trained psychologist is very efficacious. Deep Breathing exercises, Progressive Muscle Relaxation techniques can be practiced for immediate relief. Meditation, yoga have good results. Try these once and you will see improvement.

Hope I cleared your doubt, If you have more queries you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)