Have anxiety. Noticed purple skin color on inner arms, thighs and hips. What is causing this?

Hello, I'm 26 6'2 280 and my skin on my inner arms/thighs and hips (the fatty parts) turn a purpleish blue color, I also have anxiety but am taking no meds for that, also it goes away if I take a bath for a while. I've also recently lost a lot of my appetite and dropped about 10 lbs over the course of a few weeks
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

From your description it is clear that you have generalised anxiety disorder.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, loss of appetite, palpitation and dry mouth. Untreated case may progress to depression. In your case loss of appetite and weight loss may related to anxiety.

Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. Minor symptoms improved with aerobics exercise, bath and meditation. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety, if it is severe and affecting personal, social and occupational life.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it.

Regarding purple-blue color of skin of inner arms/thighs and hips: I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Anemia: get your hemoglobin level done
•     Vascular disorder (arterial or venous): You may need doppler blood flow study for that.
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available. It may also lead to anxiety.
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done. It may also lead to anxiety.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.