Have antiphospholipid syndrome. On warfarin. Medicine to delay period?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I am on Warfarin (12mg/day) as I got PE and DVT before my age is 20 and my wedding is after one month and the period will be coming in the honeymoon so what should I do to delay it?
My period started today 12/01/2013 and the last month it started on 19/12/2012.
I have antiphospholipid syndrome
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 31 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, to delay the normal period, hormonal agents are prescribed generally. But the pills has some side effects like enhancement of thrombosis and embolism.

You have a history of pulmonary embolism and XXXXXXX vein thrombosis. Secondly, you have antiphospholipid antibodies in your blood. Thirdly, you are taking warferrin. Any hormonal pill will lower the warferrin efficacy and enhance the chance of thrombosis and embolism. So, it is not possible to advise you any of hormonal agents.

Lastly, there is nothing to do to delay period. And one more thing, do not try any drug without a doctor’s prescription. It will be very XXXXXXX for you.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have antiphospholipid syndrome. On warfarin. Medicine to delay period? 2 minutes later
So what to do on my honeymoon? Is there any other way to stop blood? I am going to Maldives and do not want to spoil my vacation.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, there is no way to delay your period medically. There is no way to stop blood. It would be better to reschedule your honeymoon.

It is better to be in good health.

Hope you have your answer.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have antiphospholipid syndrome. On warfarin. Medicine to delay period? 4 minutes later
I can not reschedule my honeymoon so can I use tampons or do you recommend anything similar and are tampons effective?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, you can use tampoons. But, it may interfere in sexual activities, because of its position. That is the only problem you may experience.

So, you can use tampoons. But you should change the tampoon every 4 - 6 hrs.

Regards.