Have antibacterial groin infection. How to get rid of it?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have a antibacterial groin infection nothing seems to get rid of and I'm over it
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial or fungal infection?

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Bacterial infections present with an acutely inflamed area with tenderness. usually respond to antibiotic creams and/ or oral antibiotics. If there is pus formation, you must get the pus culture and sensitivity test done and then take oral antibiotics which are effective against the bacterial organisms.

Infections in the groin might get difficult to treat in some patients. There might be a possibility of a fungal infection which generally does not respond to antibiotic and cortisol cream.

The specific signs of a fungal infection are:
1. The infection often takes the form of a fairly large, scaly, red-brown patch on the groin.
2. The ridge around the infected area is often very different in color and feel to the surrounding uninfected skin.
3. There is often an itching, burning sensation in the infected area.
4. The disease is most active at the edges of the patch.

I suggest you take consultation from a doctor and based on clinical appearance, you may be given anti fungal cream for application. You must keep the area dry and wear cotton innerwear and avoid excessive sweat formation.

Any further queries are welcome.
I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Have antibacterial groin infection. How to get rid of it? 22 minutes later
Thanks for your help, can I ask what can coarse it, and is it any think to worry about

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You are welcome and thanks for writing in with an update.

The most common causative agents for tinea cruris include fungi like Trichophyton rubrum and Epidermophyton floccosum; less commonly Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Trichophyton verrucosum are involved.

Tinea cruris (groin fungal infection) is a contagious infection transmitted by fomites, such as contaminated towels or hotel bedroom sheets. Risk factors for initial tinea cruris infection or reinfection include wearing tight-fitting or wet clothing or undergarments.

You can easily get treated by consulting a doctor and applying antifungal cream. Risk factors for initial tinea cruris infection or reinfection include wearing tight-fitting or wet clothing or undergarments and these must be avoided.

Any further queries are welcome.
I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Have antibacterial groin infection. How to get rid of it? 9 hours later
Thank you for your answers you have been a great help. I really appreciate it was getting a bit worried as I'd had it for so long .thanks again XXXX

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I am hopeful that my suggestions will work for you.

Dr. A Rao Kavoor