Have anterior wall vaginal prolapse. Can I get a surgery that will preserve my uterus? Any sexual side effects?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I have an anterior wall vaginal prolapse that I'm considering surgery for due to symptoms.
The only thing is that I'm in my 20s and want to preserve my uterus to have children.
Can I get a surgery for the prolapse that will preserve my uterus? Also, are there sexual side effects to the surgery?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand the mental agony of having a prolapse at your age. Mere thought of getting uterus removed is not acceptable to any lady.

The good news is that there are many options for women like you who want to save uterus.

You mentioned that you have anterior wall prolapsed. Clinically we do not refer this as prolapsed, it is just a lax bladder. It can be corrected easily by:
1. Minor procedure called cystocele repair. Any good gynecologist can do this procedure.
2. Fothergill's repair: In this the ligaments adjacent to uterus are brought in front and sutured there by pushing up your prolapsed uterus.
3. Sling surgeries: Here the uterus is tied up to abdominal wall so that as to pull it up from prolapsed position in vagina.

There are other forms of treating this surgically. The procedure which best suits you can be decided by your treating doctor after direct examination.

All these procedures would not impair any of your sexual functions. Rest assured you will be able to have a better quality of life as well as have better sexual functions following the procedure. These procedures will not impair your chances to raise a family. So relax and do not get concerned.

I hope I answered you question. If you wish to enquire more details, you are welcome to post your queries here. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my response and do not have any further queries.

Wish you good health.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Have anterior wall vaginal prolapse. Can I get a surgery that will preserve my uterus? Any sexual side effects? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for the quick response.
So my doctor said my prolapse was grade 2. Is it possible to cure this with kegels and other forms or do I have to do surgery?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi and thanks again,

“Grade 2 prolapse” means descent of uterus up to interoitus (hymen) or vaginal opening in simple terms.

I am afraid, Grade 2 prolapse is difficult to be corrected with kegel's excercise. Grade 1 prolapse response better to kegel's exercise though.

But if I were to be your treating doctor, and if there is no hurry, I would recommend you to try Kegel's excercise for 3 months and if there is no improvement then plan for surgery. Some women with strong muscular tone, kegel's excercises can produce some improvements.

Since you are still young you are right in thinking to preserve uterus. And so the following uterus conserving surgeries which ever appropriate may be tried on you by the treating doctor:

1) Fothergill's repair
2) Sacrospinous fixation
3) Abdominal sling surgery by laparoscopy

And as mentioned in my previous reply, the right form of surgery will be decided by your gynecologist after a direct examination. And no sexual side effects again with these surgeries.

I hope I answered you question. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my response and do not have any further queries.

Wish you good health.

Best wishes
Dr.Mahesh Koregol