Have ankylosing spondylitis with peripheral arthritis. Can Saaz and Defcort cure it?

I am suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis with Peripheral Arthritis for last 6 months. I am being treated with the following medicines.
1) Saaz DS 1...0....1/2
2)Defcort 6mg 1.....0.....1/2
3)Etoshine 60mg 1..........
4)Omez 20mg 1..........
5)Osteokit 1..........
6)Folitrax 7.5mg 1 on saturday & 1 on sunday
7)Folvite 5mg daily except saturday & sunday

Please let me know can these medicines cure my desease and for how long should I take these medicines.
What are the side effects in the long run.
Are there any better treatments with positive results and no side effects?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 33 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Ankylosing spondylitis is a long-term disease that involves inflammation of the joints between the spinal bones, and the joints between the spine and pelvis. The cause of ankylosing spondylitis is unknown, but genes seem to play a role.
The course of the disease is hard to predict. Symptoms may come and go at any time. Most people are able to function unless the hips are severely involved.
Peripheral arthritis is routinely found in individuals suffering from colitis, inflammatory bowel disease or Crohn's disease of the colon, although one can suffer from this condition without having these diseases.
Treating peripheral arthritis often involves resting painful joints along with splints and occasional moist heat. Exercises prescribed by a physical therapist are used to improve range of motion and also trying to find out the cause and addressing it.
They can cause side effects like depression, temporary infertility, stomach upset,thrombocytopenia, megaloblastic anemia, skin rashes etc.
Usually when on multiple drugs acidity is the common problem to address that the doctor has prescribed omez which reduces the gastric acidity.
Your consulting doctor have given you the proper treatment for your illness.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Have ankylosing spondylitis with peripheral arthritis. Can Saaz and Defcort cure it? 20 hours later
Hi sir,
Thank u for the informations. My problem comprises of swelling of right knee, foot, toes & left ankle along with pains and stiffness. My neck is remains stiff with limited movements. I am unable to stand for long time and walk a distance. In the morning swollenness is lessened to a good extent but after my days office work, those again gets swollen. Pains are reliefed to good extent for the day I take the Etoshine tablet but if I don't take, the pains recups.
My doctor(rheumatologist) has asked me to plan of taking improved medicine i.e, injections named Remicade 300mg, once in a month for 3 following months, as the medicines that I am taking are not showing good results.

Sir, please let me know that is this injection curable for the desease, and the side effects if there are any.Also let me know, whether I can stick to these medicines I had mentianed earlier or are there any alternative medical treatments.

Thank u, Please do reply.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 14 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

The injections are called biologics and they give a very good result in ankylosing spondylitis much more than the medicines you are currently taking. However it is not a permanent cure and they also need to be repeated maybe once every 2 to 3 months.

Apart from these 2 classes of medication there are no other medicines.

But yes exercises, a healthy lifestyle and the NSAID you are taking etoshine should be taken in the full dose of 120 mg for maximal benefit. Discuss with your treating doctor and if deemed appropriate, take the full dose. When all the medicines are taken regularly, you can be able to have good quality of life with minimum pain.

I hope I have been helpful. Let me know if you have more enquiries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.