Have anal fistula. Not having bowel movement but passing foamy mucus. Any treatment?

General Surgeon
Question
I had a anal fistula laid open 2 years ago but past few weeks have been needing the toilet but hardly any poo has passed but a foamy mucus has been comin out n my anal has started throbbing
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Have you had any diagnostics of this fistula? Some fistulas can be a symptom of inflammatory bowel disease and it should be verified. To do that colonoscopy and pelvis MRI should be done.
Your inability to have a bowel movement can indicate that your rectum is narrow due to severe inflammation. Another fistula is also possible. In your case it is advisable to visit your doctor for rectal examination and colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have anal fistula. Not having bowel movement but passing foamy mucus. Any treatment? 8 minutes later
I had part of fistula cut out n had a drainage stitch fitted which was tightened until it dropped out which eventually cut through the fistula layin it out, I've been ok since but only been past few weeks had these probs, my tummy has been bubbling since the op n can b quite loud at night, I Do open my Bowels but mainly they are loose n most of the time quite foamy

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Hello!

So you have only a treatment of fistula without any further diagnostics. It very important to rule out Crohns disease and ulcerative colitis which can be a reason of such symptoms including fistulas. Loose and quite foamy stools is something abnormal as well and can be another symptom of Crohns disease. That is why I`m asking you to have colonoscopy performed as inflammatory bowel diseases needs special treatment.
Especially if you have had any blood in stool, lost some weight, have any abdominal pains, etc.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have anal fistula. Not having bowel movement but passing foamy mucus. Any treatment? 4 minutes later
I do sometimes have occasional abdominal cramps or shootin pains, do u think the throbbing I'm gettin in my anal could be a fistula again?
Il get an appointment 2moz at the drs, the last week or 2 I've felt really tired but can't stay asleep n got no energy

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Hello!

Yes it can be another fistula. It can be also rectal fissure or hemorrhoids. But this is not the main problem. All this conditions are treatable. The most important is to find the reason of your other symptoms. Lack of energy can be due to low hemoglobin level as you may be bleeding to the stool. I assume that your life comfort is low. You need to know that this is not normal and you have a right to feel comfortable. Therefore you need to rule out all bad things like Crohn`s.
Another Crohn`s symptoms can be skin allergies, joint pains and many more.

Regards.