Have an itchy red rash on legs and arms. After healing left a scar. How to get rid of it?

i have an itchy red rash on my legs and arms, and after healing it leaves small red scars. please help its driving me nuts. i don't have insurance so cant c a doctor.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later

I completely understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same.

From the description of the skin rash that you have given, it looks like you have developed an eczematous skin condition.
But before coming to the diagnosis, I would like to have a look at the skin rash that you are having.
It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin rash and upload them here on this page. You can also email the pictures to YYYY@YYYY with subject line as “attention to Dr. Geetika Paul”.

In addition, there are certain things that I would like to know from you.
Since when do you have this skin rash?
Any history of summer or winter exacerbation?
What have you applied over the rash already?
Any history of increased itching on sun exposure?

I would surely be of more help to you if you can give me a detailed description of the skin lesions and send me a close up picture of the same.

Waiting for your response,

Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: Have an itchy red rash on legs and arms. After healing left a scar. How to get rid of it? 23 hours later
Hello, thank you for your response. I am attaching a pic of the rash. Also to answer your questions, the rash started about two months ago or so. I don't have any allergies, I haven't put anything on it. There is no history of exacerbation of any type, as well as no exposure to · Print
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later

Based on your description, it seems more likely to be an eczematous skin reaction. Unfortunately I was unable to open the attachments. Try uploading the picture again or post it by email it to YYYY@YYYY - please add "Attn: Dr. Geetika Paul" as the subject line.

If you are unable to post the pictures again, I think you can try a topical steroid cream like clobetasol over the affected areas at least twice a day. In addition, you can apply any moisturizing creams or oil over the affected areas once or twice daily.
You might need to take oral antihistamines to relieve the associated itching.
Wear cotton clothes as much as possible. Do not use mustard oil over the affected areas.

Sometimes if the rash does not subside with this treatment, then a course of oral steroids has to be given for which you might have to see your local dermatologist.

Hope it helps. If there is any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul