Have an itchy dark patch on the skin above clitoris and peels on scratching. Could it be STI?

I have an EXTREMELY itchy dark patch on the skin right above my clitoris that peels when I scratch it...maybe on its own. I also have white bumps on my right labia majora...last time (yes, this has happened before) the bumps occurred on the left. There's like 3 or 4 small bumps that look like pimples - whiteheads. I think these are more irritated than the patch. You know, I cut myself shaving in that same area (before the patch and bumps) and me and boyfriend had sex right after I shaved. Maybe this could be an STI... or just sexually triggered...??? Just FYI, recently I have had a cottage cheese-like discharge that may or may not be related... I will send you a picture via email once I know where to send it. Here's my email address: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later
From the symptoms that you have described, these bumps sound like small irritated hair follicles causing folliculitis or clogged pores which is commonly seen after a close shave. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle.

As far as the treatment is concerned, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also avoid wearing tight fitting clothes and wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and underwear. Wash the area well with an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as Neosporin are also useful.

In case, the bumps turn painful or causes open sores, Herpes should be ruled out. Till then wear cotton clothes and try not to irritate the bumps.
The discoloration of labia moinora can be due to allergic reaction, infection, fixed drug reaction, pigmentation problems like benign vulvar melanosis, lentigo, dermatitis, etc.
Some discolouration can occur due to previous infection or even STDs.
Most of the times it s self limiting and subsides in 4-6 weeks.
You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-right hand side for a better understanding.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.