Have an iron deficiency. Itchy, red circle developed on chest. What could this be?

When I was 12 I noticed big red circles developed on my chest alot, usually appearing after a shower. They were very itchy and after asking my mom about it she said it was dry skin and bought me a lotion (I believe it was dove) I don't remember if it ever went away, but now I'm 20 and I do know that for the past 2 years I still have this problem in addition to developing a very itchy stomach/back/legs. My thighs are the absolute worst. It's very evident after showers, I'm covered in red blotches(they usually go away) and it seems that throughout the day I'm fine. But whenever I'm just relaxing either sitting on the couch or in bed, no matter what time of day, I get itchy all over! My thighs, as I've stated are the absolute worse and sometimes are red with this streaky pattern, it almost looks like someone dug their nails into my leg and scratched up ( this is not my scratch marks) I've gone from using lotions (all kinds, recently trying to stick with most natural) and I've tried not using lotion, any idea what this could be? I also wanted to add that I'm pretty sure I have an iron deficiency. I'm always cold and tired and my mom suggested that because she made me pull my eyes down once and they weren't the right color. I'm not on any medications, I don't use drugs or drink
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
From the discussion its quite clear that you are having urticaria or hives which is characterised by itchy, red raised blotches or rashes which may also have a burning sensation. In most of the cases, no cause can be elicited. The red scratches or linear marks that develop are known as dermatographism.
Sometimes urticaria subsides in weeks but at times can persist for months or years. The only treatment that can be offered is oral antihistaminics and in extreme cases oral steroids.
To treat the same
Take tablet cetirizine daily twice in a day. If not much response is seen, you may also take tablet Allegra or fexofenadine daily along with cetirizine.
Apply calamine lotion to soothe the area.

Continue the medicines for two weeks and then take tablet cetirizine only once daily for another two weeks. Later on you may stop these medicines to see if you develop any further episode of urticaria.

Continue the medicines for two weeks and then let me know, I will be available for follow up.