Have an infected ingrown hair. Sebaceous cyst removed. On medication. How long will it take to get relief?

I have an ingrown hair that's infected. It became irritated because I was covering an incision for a sebaceous cyst that was removed. The tape must have damaged a hair. It has become red and swollen. I am on flagyl and amoxicillin. Anything else I need to do? I am putting on hot compresses for 20 minutes at a time. How long does it take to get relief? Thank you. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

The ingrown hair could be due to the same reason as you think. It might
have lead to folliculitis .If not treated well could get complicated into a cyst
like one you had .

Well, there is no need to worry as you are on antibiotics which specifically inhibit
such infections.You may have to supplement the antibiotic with an anti inflammatory
medication like Ibuprofen to make sure that it does not progress.

Do take Tab Motrin 400 mg twice daily after good for three days. This will help
in reducing the inflammation and its progress into a cyst.

Do continue the hot compresses , which does provide you relief.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.