Have an incisional hernia in stomach. Getting stomach pain, black stools and heartburn. Any suggestion?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have an incisional hernia in my stomach. It is from open heart surgery where the plugs came out. I am in a lot of pain. Stomach pain, black stools, very bad heartburn. any suggestions. I am scheduled for surgery but the pain and discomfort is getting worse.also do you recommend emergency room.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
An incisional hernia with superadded symptoms of irreducibility and pain is a indication for early or rather immediate surgical intervention. A preoperative Ct scan of the region would help to determine the approach and the extent of repair.If symptoms are unbearable then emergency admission is recommended.
I hope this answers your doubt.