Have an incisional hernia, achy but not sharp pain for starngulation. Is driving safe?

General Surgeon
I have an incisional hernia. Appointment w/ surgeon ( who did initial repair 2 years ago) May 7. I have pain that is achy, but not the sharp pain that my GP said would mean strangulation. Can I take a long car trip tomorrow?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Generally car trip has minor impact for a hernia. So no contraindications for such trip. However strangulation can always happen no matter what you will be doing. You never know that. You should definitely avoid lifting heavy objects, put your hand in the hernia area when coughing, do not push hard on stool. Hernia belt might be helpful, however should be applied only when lifting or standing for a long time.

Generally mild pain in the hernia area is very common symptom. When strangulation appears, you should have acute pain, bloating, gas and stool obstruction, vomiting. In case of such symptoms, you should visit ER. Otherwise, you should take mentioned precautions and wait till your appointment.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.