Have an external haemorrhoid with scabs. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
I have an external hemorrhoid . The hemorrhoid has two scabs on it. The scabs are XXXXXXX with a white circles around them. The scabs originally looked blue in color before they turned into scabs. Any idea what the scabs are and do I need to be overly concerned?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It would be much easier to help you having the photos of it.
Such scabs are most likely caused by thrombosis which has appeared in the hemorrhoid. It has caused hemorrhoid ischemia and local wound. This wound most likely has gotten covered with this scab.
As long as there is no pus inside this hemorrhoid, it has not turned black, no fever or strong pain, you should not be concerned.
However if you want to have permanent relief from hemorrhoids, surgery is advisable.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have an external haemorrhoid with scabs. Should I be concerned? 2 days later
The hemorrhoid has burst and is now bleeding. Should I remove the blood clot or should I leave it to heal on its own?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later

If you will remove the blood clot, it will start bleeding all over. The best way is to put some pressure on it with bandage for few hours. If it wont stop bleeding, you should visit general surgeon and hemorrhoids should be removed.