Have an enlarged prostate which is benign. Take Alfuzonin and Finasteride. Does this inhibit taking Viagra?

Neurologist
Question
I have an enlarged prostate which is benign.I take Alfuzonin 10mg per day andFinasteride 5mg per day.

Do those drugs inhibjt my taking viagra or similar, please?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

You have benign prostrate hyperplasia for which you are on alfuzosin and finasteride

Alfuzosin an α1 receptor antagonist used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It works by relaxing the muscles in the prostate and bladder neck, making it easier to urinate. The most common side effects are dizziness (due to postural hypotension), upper respiratory tract infection, headache, and fatigue

Finasteride is a type II 5α-reductase inhibitor. 5α-reductase is an enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT).Thus reduce the growth of prostrate

Finasteride cause persistent diminished libido or erectile dysfunction, during and even after stopping the drug. It may also causes irreversible erectile dysfunction.

Hence viagra requirement is high and at times no benefit.

Hope this will help you.

Please get back if you require any additional information