Have an apparent uneven testicular size. Had testicular pain. Testicular cancer?

Jul 2016

I have an apparent uneven testicular size. I do not detect any actual size difference in my testicles but the left sack has immensely more tissue/vasculature of some type. It also hangs lower. Neither are new developments but each may have become somewhat more pronounced over time. I am 33. It is somewhat uncomfortable in general. I can always feel the bulk and a bit of pressure. The tissue/vasulature, or whatever it is, is to such an extent that it prevents me from doing a self examination on the left testicle. If there were a lump I am not all confident that I could detect it through everything. I have previously accepted that on my physicals the doctor was able to tell but now feel there isn't really any way they could tell better than I can. Additionally, I had a brief period of testicular pain than extended to my abdomen or the other way around. It was brief, about 5 or 6 times for a month, and hasn't occurred in at least several months.

My questions are:

Are there other tests such as blood that I can or should do to screen for testicular cancer?
Is the pain still a concern even though it has disapated? Is it related to the extra bulk around my left testicle? Is likely varicocele or hydrocele?
Can/should it be fixed surgically?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later
In my opinion, it looks to be a Varicocele.

It is definitely not due to cancer of the Testis nor due to Hydrocele. In both the conditions testis is enlarged in size and is firm to hard on palpation.

Varicocele is dilatation of tributaries of testicular vein developed due to incompetency of non-returning valves placed in the veins and is more common on left side. It is a vein problem in simple terms.
It can be confirmed by clinical examination by a qualified a General Surgeon or Urologist and following investigation.
1) Ultrasound scanning of the scrotum this will rule out Hydrocele or testicular cancer as well.
2) Colour Doppler study of Scrotum will confirm grade of Varicocele.

Pain in testis and abdomen is due to varicocele and is caused by dragging of the veins.

It is not mandatory that all the cases of varicocele need to be treated by surgery.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and further treatment.
Please feel free to ask me further queries; I shall be happy to help you.
Dr. Patil