Have alopecia areata in beard region and increasing. Steroid injections didn't help. Taking betnesol injection

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
hi i have alopecia areata in beard region for past 9-10 months. it starts from 1 -2 patches but now it is increasing at a very severe rate. i have lost most of the chin beard. i have taken steroids injections around 6-7 times but with no effect. i have also some hair on eyebrow but it is coming back after taking injection but the beard patches are ever increasing. all my test are normal and presently i am taking betnesol forte 5 mg twice a week . i have taken it for 2 weeks now. pl help in treatment as nothing is working on beard.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please read a detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern as alopecia areata can be cosmetically unpleasant.
So you have alopecia areata of eyebrows and beard area not responding to intralesional steroid alone and that is why oral XXXXXXX pulse therapy with betnesol was started.
Had you visited my clinic I would have started you on
1)oral levamisole 150 mg( tablet dicaris) on two consecutive days in a week( say Monday, Tuesday)
2)oral betnesol forte, according to body weight. Continue with 5 mg on two consecutive days( say Thursday Friday). Steroids yield best results when taken in morning and should be taken after breakfast.
3) topically apply minoxidil solution 5 percent two times in a day and steroid salicylic acid solution( topisal) in night.

Please follow these suggestions atleast for a month and get back for follow up to me. Do not expect immediate results. Hair growth usually begins in patches as fine discoloured hair which later on gains thickness and color. Do not stress yourself or panic. You will definitely have response. Steroids would induce hair growth and prevent progression of lesion.
Also please remain under your doctor's follow up. Once good response is achieved, steroids should not be stopped abruptly rather tapered gradually. Please keep this in mind while discontinuing the treamtent.
Hope this helped.

Follow-up: Have alopecia areata in beard region and increasing. Steroid injections didn't help. Taking betnesol injection 11 hours later
hi doctor, i have few questions.

I would like to tell you that i have taken dicaris (twice weekly) earlier for about 3-4 months but there was no effect. so should i continue it again with betnesol ?
Also, i have been prescribed 4 mg of betnesol forte twice weekly. my weight is 61 kgs and height 5 ft 11 inch. So should i increase the dose to 5 mg or not?
Further if there is any particular diet to be taken or anything to be avoided like alcohol? Also, i am applying amexidil 5% so should i continue with it?

Thanks & Regards

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please read a detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
1) Dicaris or levamisole is an immunomodulator. Alopecia areata is an autoimmune ds that is one's own immunity acts against self. So levamisole is added to modify the same. Now this drug alone may not offer much result. Hence combine it with steroid.
2) Going by your weight, ideal dose for you is 12 mg/week ie 6 mg on two consecutive days. So definitely you should increase the dose, if not 6 mg atleast 5. Only precaution is to take it in morning after breakfast. Also it should be taken under doctor's supervision. Another caution is tapering the dose. ideally steroids are reduce by 0.5 mg to 1 mg per week once response is achieved.
3) no diet changes are required. Alcohol has no correlation to same. But definitely a healthy nutritious diet would help. Please continue with amexidil and as advised topisal also( follow the prescription in my previous post)

Hope this helped.

Follow-up: Have alopecia areata in beard region and increasing. Steroid injections didn't help. Taking betnesol injection 18 hours later
thanks doctor. one more thing i like to ask is that how long i have to take these medicines and how long it will take to notice some improvement as mine is extensive case of alopecia. Earlier there were patches in beard but now its like beard in patches. But i hope this is not permanent situation. So Pl let me know the turnaround time so as to start living normal life.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please read a detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
These medicines can be continued safely for four to five months. So please continue with the same. The only caution is taking oral steroids after break fast and not stop them abruptly.
Steroid and dicaris together will promote hair growth and prevent progression of disease as well. Also continue with topical minoxidil and steroid salicylic acid solution( topisal is a potent steroid use it in small quantity for two to three weeks then shift to milder one like diprovate s lotion)
Please be stress free and be patient as well as compliant with treatment. At least two to three mnoths time is required for response
Also remain under your doctor's follow up.

Hope this helped.

Follow-up: Have alopecia areata in beard region and increasing. Steroid injections didn't help. Taking betnesol injection 10 hours later
thanks doc..my last to question to you is can i take intralesional injections in between during the course of these medicines or should i discontinue taking it as it is not doing any good..

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not take intralesional steroid.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing track.
Right now as you are on oral steroids and topical steroids, there is no point taking intralesional steroid. You may discontinue its use. Just continue with oral steroids and topical medicines atleast for two months and then depending on response we may modify the treatment.
Hope this helped.