Have allergic reactions to iodine dyes. Iodine spilled on hand. Will this cause any allergy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am allergic to shellfish and I have had allergic reactions to injected iodine dyes used in testing. I just spilled some iodine tincture on my hand. I washed my hands after the incident. Will this cause any type of allergic reaction?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 45 minutes later

There is absolutely no need to worry. It should not cause anything. If you even notice some skin rash or something this means nothing. Much higher dose of iodine needs to come to our body to cause allergic reaction. And in most cases it needs to enter our body through injection or by inhalation. So just be sure that nothing came into your eyes or mouth. Skin-iodine contact can cause only local irritation of skin which can be treated by soap,water and corticosteroid cream.
But, if you feel nausea or having breathing problems go to ER.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help