Have allergic dry cough. Not cured by levocetrizine, anti allergic cough syrup? What treatment should be done?

I have allergic dry cough. I have been noticing that for past 3 years i get this cough in the month of september and the coughing continues for a few months before subsiding. I have tried levocetrizine, anti allergic cough syrups like grilinctus, but it dosent help me much. What is the treatment? Will wysolone or steroid therapy help me reduce the and treat the cough and are there any long lasting side effects?
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 57 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from Bronchial asthma.

2. You need to under go investigations: chest xray, pulmonary function test and serum IgE levels along with evaluation by a pulmonologist.

3. The condition is not uncommon and is especially presented with symptoms in winter and rainy months.

4. You need to take the inhaler as prescribed and also oral preventive medications and nasal sprays may be initiated (If there is associated cold).

5. You can also take annual flu vaccination to prevent secondary infections leading to symptoms.

6. Wysolone is only be added in cases of severe airway obstruction on pulmonary function test which cannot be controlled on inhalers alone. Wysolone therapy is usually short term and hence no major side effects.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra