Have alignment tear in ankle, used synthetic cast to heal ligament. Still unable to walk normally, painful when climbing stairs. When will this pain subside?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have got aligament tear in right ankle before 3 weeks .I have used synthetic caste for 3 weeks and then now ligament is healed .Still unable to walk normally and feeling much pain when climbing stairs .When will this pain subsidise ?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Normally an ankle ligament injury will recover within 6­ to 8 weeks, although it may tend to swell for a few months longer.

The majority of ankle injuries get better completely and cause no long­term problems. Unfortunately occasionally there is permanent damage to the ankle. The ligaments may fail to heal properly and become weak – leading to ankle instability, or there may be damage to the joint itself or some other structure nearby ­ leading to ankle pain and swelling.
In your case if the pain is only associated with weight bearing and not a continuous or worsening one and is not associated with persistent or worsening swelling , then it does not seem worrisome .
Your ankle may be just taking longer than usual to recover. However, there may be some other damage to the ankle if it is still causing trouble three months after injury. It would be worth consulting your physiotherapist for appropriate exercises to help in faster recovery and relief from pain.
So , please do not worry but do seek appropriate follow up with your orthopedist and physiotherapist for timely interventional management like exercises, braces etc.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries .
Follow-up: Have alignment tear in ankle, used synthetic cast to heal ligament. Still unable to walk normally, painful when climbing stairs. When will this pain subside? 14 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

Its 4 th week after the ligament tear injury.When will i be able to jog ,run?
I feel considerable pain when coming down stairs abut able to manage to climb the stairs.
Actually iam not getting any instructions from brain when going down and iam afraid placing the foot while coming down but have managed when going upwards .
Iam able to feel stiffness even in the leg in the nerves Can it be hardened due to the threeweeks of cast in that leg
How long will it take to walk normally and climbing and getting down stairs.should i be wearing any band for protection while walking and climbing stairs

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 41 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

Ideally you should be able to walk and climb normally in 6-8 weeks post injury and even if climbing down does cause some pain now you should be able to resume jogging or sports completely in 2-3 months .
Muscle stiffness in leg could be due to lack of movement during immobilization , however please remember you need to consult a physiotherapist for the appropriate exercises and stretches . These cannot be replaced by you trying to walk or climb on your own. There are specific exercises to be learnt and done regularly if you want a faster recovery. Since you havent mentioned if you are just climbing and walking yourself or exercising under the proper guidance of a physiotherapist , I assume you haven't consulted one .So I would recommend you to ensure daily physiotherapy and and wearing an ankle support or ankle brace as per the therapists prescription.
The physiotherapy and braces not only help in faster recovery, regaining of muscle power but also help in recurrence of injury which is commonly seen in ankle injuries.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries .
Wishing you a speedy recovery.