Have adenomyosis. IBS and adhesions. Having D&C month and laparoscopy. Suggested removal of uterus. Treatment without surgery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
I am having a D&C this month and laparoscopy.. my Dr. thinks I have adenomyosis and possible adhesions. I had two children by C Section 21 and 18 years ago. I have IBS and have had adhesions so bad that when my second child was born they had to separate my bladder from my uterus in the same surgery. I am 51 years old. I do NOT want a hysterectomy and I hear that this can go away after menopause (whereas hysterectomy is forever).. when I consult with my Dr. before any other surgery I need to know about other options. Will abalation work for this situation? Will anti-inflammatory herbs/meds help? And is thirst related to this? I have been very thirsty at times! Also, please let me know of other ways to treat this that are successful.. none surgical is best. What should I avoid..
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Adenomyosis is in-growth of endometrial tissue into myometrium.
The treatment options depends on the symptoms being produced by adenomyosis.
If you are able to manage the symptoms with medical treatment like pain with analgesics and menstrual problems with hormonal pills, then you can use them for few months. And possibly by that time you will reach the menopause.
If symptoms are severe and not getting controlled with medicines, you may need surgery.
Ablation usually may not work for it, because the problem is in the inner layer that is myometrium.
If there is any associated problem in the endometrial layer, that can be cured with ablation. Minimally invasive adenomyosis may be cured with it sometimes.
Herbal medicines may not give complete cure.
Thirst is not the specific symptom of adenomyosis, that can be due to some other cause.
The medical treatment options are hormonal therapy to decrease the symptoms.
Uterine artery embolisation is one more option, which is a minimally invasive procedure.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have adenomyosis. IBS and adhesions. Having D&C month and laparoscopy. Suggested removal of uterus. Treatment without surgery? 5 minutes later
what should I avoid? Certain foods or medicines?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later

Actually there is no proved evidence that adenomyosis is related to food.
So you can take regular nutritious food. Avoid fast foods, excessive salt, oil etc.
And avoid medicines to those you are allergic.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have adenomyosis. IBS and adhesions. Having D&C month and laparoscopy. Suggested removal of uterus. Treatment without surgery? 7 hours later
One last question, last night I see that a lot of sites suggest MRI for diagnosis, but my dr. is doing a D&C and laparoscopy.. is one test any better than the other for that purpose because MRI is so much easier to tolerate! Also, if I have had a constant sinus drainage and ear aches/cough.. (it is allergy season here) can that be related to my condition and not be allergies at all? Should I tell my Dr. about it? He did mention getting a biopsy to rule out cancer too.. if I have cancer, is it too late to stop it if I have pain in my abdomen most of the time? (he told me he suspects adenomyosis not cancer, and so far my Pap was good and blood tests were good - just some hormones showing I am starting menopause).

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later

MRI is useful only for diagnostic purpose. Whereas D&C and laparoscopy can serve diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
By D&C tissue can be obtained and that can be sent for histopathological examination.
Cough, sinus discharge are not related to adenomyosis, those can be due to some other reason.
Yes, you have to tell regarding these to your doctor. So that he can arrange the antibiotics and anesthetic drugs accordingly.
By histopatholigical examination the possibility of malignancy can be ruled out.
As the chance is very less in your case, don't worry. Advanced malignancy can be detected by examination, ultrasound etc. As your previous reports are normal, the possibility of malignancy is less.