Have acute levels of h pylori of between 3,000 - 4,000. What are the risks of getting chron's disease?

Sep 2012

Hi, I have acute levels of h pylori of between 3,000 - 4,000. My mother had the same thing a couple of yrs ago & when she did the treatment triple therapy, her levels went even higher . 2 yrs after her initial diagnosis she nearly lost her life to an abbess that exploded & she was riddled with crohns disease. My concern is to have a gastroscopy first & find out what's going on before I have to take any of those high doses of antibiotics, I'm pretty sure crohns is not genetically linked but do u think I have the right way of thinking about this, thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Firstly, Crohn's disease has a genetic predisposition. As your mother has this disease, your chance of getting this disease is 30 times more than a normal individual. So, it is a definite possibility.
So, before taking the triple therapy, you must be investigated for presence of any other lesions. You have to be examined thoroughly. Then endoscopy may be considered specially the colonoscopy. If required endoscopy guided biopsy should be taken and it should be sent for histopathological examination. A barium follow through is also required to see any narrowing in the gastrointestinal tract. CT scan also has some role in diagnosis of this disease. A base level complete hemogram should be done to find any feature of vitamin B12 deficiency.
So, consult with your treating gastroenterologist for ordering the abovementioned investigation.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Have acute levels of h pylori of between 3,000 - 4,000. What are the risks of getting chron's disease? 4 hours later
Thankyou so much for confirming exactly what I was thinking is the right way to go about this, I will let you know how I go, I see the gastroenterologist tomorrow ;-)
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 8 minutes later
You are welcome.
If you want, you can close this discussion. Your review will be appreciated.