Ask a Urologist   »  

Have acute case of prostititis. Semen analysis done showed Count 49million Progressive 14%, Non progressive 6% and Immobile 79%. Remedy?

Jul 2016

4 months ago I had an acute case of prostititis. I had a semen analysis done last week the results state.
Time of sample 8:45am
Time of examination 10:10am
Morphology normal
Increased viscosity
Failure to liquefy
Count 49million
Progressive 14%
Non progressive 6%
Immobile 79%

I have fathered children before this prostatitis. Is the low motility due to the prostatitis? Is is related to the failure to liquefy? What can I do to help remedy this situation as we would very much like more children??

Should have also stated that I don't smoke. I am normal weight. I eat a good diet. I was prescribed ciprofloxacin for 1 month and have had no further symptoms of prostatitis.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts and report of your semen analysis that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as Oligoasthenospermia meaning there by that your sperm count is low and percentage of active motile sperms is low than WHO standards.

The viscosity and failure to liquefy is due deficiency of prostatic secretions which is secondary to persistent infection of the prostate(Prostatitis) that you have, in spite of taking antibiotics.

Please get your semen culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to so that you can take appropriate antibiotic to treat infection of the prostate.

Normally we recommend three semen analysis report done over a period of two months before concluding the cause of failure or possibility of conception.

Please repeat your semen analysis after completion of taking appropriate antibiotic for one more month.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Follow-up: Have acute case of prostititis. Semen analysis done showed Count 49million Progressive 14%, Non progressive 6% and Immobile 79%. Remedy? 7 hours later
Thank you for your response. I will go back to my doctor. Can I ask after further antibiotics is it likely that my issues will resolve and I will be able to have more children?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
Please take appropriate antibiotic for a month and repeat your semen analysis.
There is no reason why you should not father a child.
Thanks and regards.