Have acne scars around cheek, blackheads on nose. Will it be safe to go for microdermabrasion?

my face has shallow pinkish acne scars espescially around my cheeks. i have open pores around the skin below my eyes. i also have blackheads on my nose .this is affecting my self image. i am starting to think of getting microdermabrasion done. could you please throw some light on the procedure. how safe nd effective is it. and how much does it cost per session . i stay in india, visakhapatnam. are there any clinics which are good here
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 24 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Microdermabrasion is a common painless cosmetic procedure done for mild acne scars, mild pigmentation changes and wrinkles. It is also known as skin polishing. The procedure involves abrasion or removal of superficial dead layer of skin by use of abrasive crystals like aluminium oxide and a suction probe. For face it usually requires a time period of 10 to 20 minutes. To help with acne scars at least 6 to 12 sessions are required that can be taken 1 to 2 week apart. Also use of vitamin c based creams, tretinoin gel application over the scars along with microdermabrasion would give better results.
After the session mild erythema or few pin point bleeding spots can be seen. These subside in few hours to a day.
Application of sunscreen is mandatory with the sessions as new skin that replaces the dead skin is sensitive to sun exposure.
MDA is a safe and effective procedure.
Cost depends upon the severity of concern and the clinic from where you want to get it done. Doctors usually charge 500 to 3000 Rs per session.
Its a common skin procedure done by all dermatologists and does not require any special expertise. Hence you can contact any dermatologist nearby for the same.

Hope that helps. Should there be any doubt feel free to write back.
Dr kalpana Pathak

PS Should there be no more query, we may close the discussion.
Follow-up: Have acne scars around cheek, blackheads on nose. Will it be safe to go for microdermabrasion? 17 minutes later
does MDA get rid of open pores, and moderate acne scar depressions. how does it differ from laser resurfacing. how expensive is laser resurfacing if i opt for it. how much doctors usually charge for laser resurfacing per session
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
MDA and peels both improve appearance of open pores. As far as acne scars are concerned MDA gives good results in shallow superficial scars. But if scars are of moderate depth you may take sessions of dermarollers. This is a micro needling technique and induces collagen thus improving scars as well as giving excellent results in pore reduction. We usually advise laser resurfacing for moderate depth to deep scars.
As far as costs are concerned MDA is cheapest followed by dermarollers( per session may cost 2000 to 5000) while lasers are costliest( above 5000 and more per session depending on the laser used).

If you have moderate depth scars with pores go with dermarollers as it would give excellent results .

I would encourage a consultation with dermatologist nearby so that your scars can be analysed and proper treatment option be suggested.

Hope that helps. Take care