Have acne and pseudofolliculitis on neck. Redness, burning, itching on neck. Applied hydrocortisone. Help

I have acne and pseudofolliculitus on my neck. Started getting ingrown hairs on neck and razor bumps so switched to electric foil razor. A month just went by with little to no ingrown hairs. I have been wearing tight fitting collar sweatshirts and fleece jackets to hide the mess. Last Sunday I shaved my neck with electric razor and immedietely the area around XXXXXXX XXXXXXX (where I have recurrent ingrown hairs) turned red and burned. Now my entire neck, even where I didn't shave, is covered with what look like tiny clear goosebumps....don't even recall shaving my entire neck to my shoulders. Very unsightely and itches.
Initially put 2.5 percent prescription hydrocortisone creme to no avail. Then started putting on aquafor and took benedryl...only effect is itching is going down.

I have been using fabric softner lately and the goosebumps are only on neck and mostly below beard near collar area so I dont know if this has anything to do with it. Help. The bumps look clear and are all over my neck....never had this before and its quite alarming.

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
In the images attached, I could not see any raised red bumps typical of pseudo folliculitis on neck area but could see diffuse redness over neck area. This redness could be due to
Razor burn- occurring due to use of blunt blade, dry shaving or lack of use of shaving gel, improper shaving technique. It presents as red rash immediately after shaving

Contact dermatitis to fabric softener or any new after shave or shaving gel. Only this area might be involved as this is the area of maximum touch of your shirt or sweatshirt. I hope you are not applying retino a gel over neck area as it can also lead to irritant dermatitis.

To treat the same
Take tablet cetirizine twice in a day
Apply a stronger steroid cream like betamethasone cream twice in a day
Do not use fabric softener and do not wear clothes that might cause friction in the area. Avoid application of after shave lotion or shaving gel.
Avoid shaving till the redness subsides.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be further query, feel free to write back.