Have acidity problem, taking rabium. Cannot have food without medicine. Developed deficiency of vitamin D. Related?

I have acute acidity problem for the last 15 years and now I am taking rabium 20 since last 6 years. I can not have my food without taking the morning dose of the medicine. If by chance I miss the daily dose then by noon burning sensation in stomach and head becomes unbearable. I want the advice that is it safe to take these antiacids medicine for so long. I have also developed the deficiency of vitamin D. Is it in any way related to antiacid medication.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

As You have said that you are taking rabeprazole(rabium) for 6 years due to burning sensation in stomach , having headache , vitamin d deficiency , taking neoproxen (neprosyn) for headache

Based on the description of your symptoms clearly RABIUM is the culprit of all your symptoms

1. Rabeprazole is famous for headache , if you take rabium for more than 3 months , and for your headache you are taking neoproxen , which itself is famous for stomach ulcers , gastritis (burning sensation in stomach) . So you are in a vicious cycle of continous stomach irritation.

2 .Rabeprazole is famous for vitamin -D deficiency , for vit D to absorb , it needs acid , and rabeprazole stops acid in your stomach , thats why we prescribe vit-D with calcium for patients taking rabeprazole

3. Rabeprazole is used for stomach pain/irritation and the side effect of rabeprazole itself after the use for more than 3 months is stomach pain with burning sensation.

I would suggest you to go to gastroenterologist and he will start a slow tapering withdrawal of rabium and all your symptoms will go away in few months

Do get H.PYLORI test , a famous bug for stomach burning sensation

I hope this completely explains your query

Let me know if you need any further clarifications