Have acidity. Did an endoscopy. On a diet and neksium. Ended up with acid reflux. Continue tablet?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, I have acidity problem for long time. I did an endoscopy and advised to follow certain diet. Currently I am taking Neksium 20mg tablet in the morning everyday. Doctor has advised me to have this for an year. When ever I try to discontinue this, I end up with acid reflex. Because of which I am continuing this tablet beyond one year. I would like to know whether I can continue taking this tablet or should I change to something else.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

We have usually observed that acidity has a lot to do with stress, diet and lifestyle

It is always better to manage these if you want to withdraw medicines

My next step in management will be to follow these steps :

1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight

Regarding safety of Nexium 20mg for long term treatment - There are adequate papers which have documented no adverse reaction of the medicine after 6 and 12 months, so that is not an issue

But it is always better to prevent rather than cure

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept this reply and rate it

Get Well Soon