Have acid refluxes. Burns throat and hurts nose. Taken nexium, had headaches. All test normal. Underlying cause?

Hi I have had acid on & off for years, this has progressed to acid reflux when I,m lying down; really burns my throat hurts my nose etc. I have taken Nexium & similar drugs but they cause too many side effects, headaches etc. Ive also realised that I can only sleep on my right side, if I end up on my back or turn on my left side I get severe pains in my sides. I had tests looking down my throat & a tube inserted up my nose & down into my stomach; all was fine normal Ph levels etc I,m going back to my consultant next wk but think he will right me off as he doesnt know what else he can do . I dont know anyone who suffers with pains in their sides like I do, & why is my throat burning so much if my stomach valve is ok. Help Many Thanks
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

As you have acid peptic disease and reflux, and are not being helped by acid blockers, you need more detailed evaluation.
How long back was the endoscopy done?
What all medications have been tried?
Was there any hiatal hernia on the endoscopy? Or a lax hiatus or lower end of the food pipe?
Do you get sour eructations?

On sleeping on the right, the stomach acidic contents are easily passed in to the duodenum through the antrum which are located to the right.
When lying on the left, the stomach emptying is delayed and hence the acid contact is prolonged causing you peptic pain in the sides and reflux.

You may benefit by a detailed evaluation for anemia, other causes for increased peptic activity etc.

You may try combinations of PPI (proton pump inhibitor like nexium), a coating agent like sucralfate and a prokinetic (propellent) like domperodone or metoclopramide.
H. pylori infection should be ruled out and treated accordingly.

Try sleeping on your right after food and the with head end of the bed elevated or over pillows. This will reduce reflux. Throat burns due to acid regurgitating back from the stomach. Endoscopy may me needed again to see if there is esophagitis too (if the lower esophageal valve is competent)

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at

Good Luck!