Have aching neck and swollen left gland. Taking doxycycline for GERD. How to get rid of pain?

ENT Specialist
Just saw my Endocrinologist 4 weeks ago and everything looked fine except for my nodules which have not changed in 2 years. Since returning to Afghanistan 3 weeks ago, I am having aching in neck/esophagus and only left gland swollen. Tonsils not swollen and throat not sore. Neck is stiff and having discomfort when swallowing. I have GERD, but it does not seem to be that. Take 100mg of Doxycycline daily (antimalarial). Started taking it twice in case it was infection. At a loss here and not getting better. Pain not consistent. sometimes it is nearly gone, but comes back full force. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Doxycyclin related side effects Detailed Answer: Hi Sir, I have gone through your query. It suggests that in present scenario you are suffering from the doxycyclin related side effects. For your kind information---Adverse Drug Reactions of doxycyclin related to gastro intestinal tract are- 1. Nausea, 2. GI upsets, 3. Glossitis and 4. Dysphagia i.e. swallowing difficulties (as you have -Neck is stiff and having discomfort when swallowing) In this type of our patients I advised antacid with this drug. For your left nodule of the thyroid better to go for the USG guided fine needle aspiration cytology and thyroid profile to reach the near diagnosis and better management. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.
Follow-up: Have aching neck and swollen left gland. Taking doxycycline for GERD. How to get rid of pain? 14 minutes later
Thank you, Doctor. I do take nexium 40mg x1 daily in morning and take TUMS antacids daily in afternoon and evening. The pain can sometimes be like someone is squeezing my throat/choking me. Strangely enough, sometimes a burp can relieve some of the discomfort. I will see what I can do about seeing medical professional here. Just wanted an opinion before I sought attention since it is such a pain here in Afghanistan.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go for life style modification Detailed Answer: Hi Sir, I have gone through your follow up query. You are on right medicine. You may go for life style modifications for 15 days such as---> 1. Eat several small meals instead of two or three large meals. 2. Avoid Chocolate, mint, alcohol and spicy foods if you have. 3. Do not smoke or chew tobacco if you do. 4. Do not wear tight cloth 5. Lose weight if you are overweight. After this if your symptoms not improve then go for the oesophagoscopy for better diagnosis and management. Wish you good health