Have achalasia and underactive thyroid gland. Are they connected in any way?

Excellent

Question
I have achalesia + also h\ve underative thyroid glnd - are the two connected in any way?
Thanks
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 47 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Achalasia cardia is an esophageal disease mimicking cardiac disease hence also called cardiospasm. It is a condition where there is marked dilatation of the lower two third of the esophagus without any demonstrable or detectable obstructive pathology at the lower end. 

Achalasia cardia is mainly seen in young age groups. The incidence is almost equal in both male and female. 

The characteristic feature of dysphagia in achalsia cardia is that there is difficulty in swallowing more to liquids than solids. 

There is no connection of achlasia with hypothyroidism.

You are most welcome to ask any other query if you wish.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Have achalasia and underactive thyroid gland. Are they connected in any way? 8 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX
An operation has been mentioned for me and I am not happy about this - I had dilation done Friday 13th July - this was about third in all since Feb 2011. I am hoping that eating less at a meal will help. From my standpoint, I find sometimes trying to take liquid after solids will not work - I have to wait til solids descend into stomach before drinking - this could take up to half hour.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Hello
Achalasia is a syndrome of esophageal dysmotility characterized by failure of relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) and lack of functional peristalsis in the body.
All current forms of treatment for achalasia are palliative in nature.

Some surgeons recommend surgery for patients in whom dysphagia recurs after three dilatations,as multiple dilatations may lead to fibrosis and diminish the likely hood of successful surgery.This is the reason your doctors are advising you for the surgery.
Thanks

Follow-up: Have achalasia and underactive thyroid gland. Are they connected in any way? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor - You have been most helpful- I will pray that things go well for me. (By the way, I cannot see the Accept Button - so I do accept your responses and think them very worthwhile)
Sincerely

Hello
There are two buttons at the end.
One is reply ask
Second is accept and rate the answer
You can click on the second button,if satisfied by the answer.
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks