Have accidentally swallowed sodium polyacrylate. Suggest?

Dec 2014

I am a healthy 29 year old male. I have a question about ingesting the chemical sodium polyacrylate. If you are not familiar with this, it is what is commonly put in babies diapers that absorbs water and expands 200-300 times its size. I have accidentally ingested a small amount of sodium polyacrylate that had already been mixed with water and turned to gel. This took place 5 days ago and I have not had any reactions. I just wanted to make sure that I am safe at this point and that the gel would pass through my system. I would say I accidentally swallowed around a teaspoon of it when someone decided to throw it at me as a joke and my mouth was open. I spoke with poison control the night it happened and they said if I didn't have a reaction within an hour I would be fine but I just wanted to make sure there was no long term worry. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Sodium polyacrylate is a granular substance and it is a harmless substance. In studies it proved to be non poisonous.

You ingested about 4-5 days back with no adverse side effects, so there is no need to worry. In acute conditions it may cause GIT symptoms only. So please don't waste your time in unnecessary concerns.

hope I cleared your doubt, you can ask again in follow up