Have abscess in-between buttocks above anus. Cause and cure?

Pediatrician, Surgery

I am having abscess in between my buttocks above anus.
What can be the treatment for it ?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anand Sinha 45 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query on Health Care Magic.
The first concern is to get our diagnosis correct. There are two possibilities for a pus collection in that region. It can be a simple abscess as you say.
In that case, the treatment will include
1. Antibiotics like augmentin and metronidazole (for doses and proper prescription you should see a surgeon)
2. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs like Ibuprofen.
3. Sitz bath: you can sit in lukewarm water for 10-15 min for 2-3 times a day. It gives immense relief from the pain
4. Let a surgeon have a look. Pus anywhere in the body should be removed. If the abscess is fully developed (or fluctuant) it needs to be drained.
But my concern is that it should not be a pilonidal sinus. It is a condition in young males with hairy skin and occupation that involves sitting for long periods. The hair gets trapped in the groove between the buttocks and slowly erodes the skin and causes infection. The site is exactly as you have described. In that case the treatment may require a bigger surgery. The hair also need to be shaved off. Rest of the treatment is almost the same. For this, you should consult a surgeon.
Hope this helps solve your query.
God bless you and I wish you a very rapid recovery.
Dr Anand Sinha
MS (General Surgery)
MCh (Pediatric Surgery)