Have abscess cause by Serratia on abdomen after a surgery. Applied bactrim. Need infectious disease specialist?

I developed a lump or knot in my lower abdomen after surgery a few years ago. After seeing 4 different doctors, it was determined to be an abscess cause by Serratia. The dermatologist but me on 4 weeks of Bactrim, but it has never completely gone away, and now seems to be growing again. I am tired of having to go to so many doctors to get help for this. Who should I see to resolve this? I have already seen a surgeon, my OB/GYN, regular doctor, and a dermatologist. All of them seem to be out of answers. Should I go see an infectious disease specialist? Do I need a referral from a doctor to make an appointment with them? Thanks
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later

Persistent abscess in the lower abdominal wall after the surgery may develop because of a foreign body in the area or due to other causes - which can be evaluated by your surgeon and infectious disease specialist.

Sometimes a small thread of gauge piece can cause such a persistent infection. This might need a proper cleaning and debridement of the area to control the infection. You also need to get your blood glucose levels checked to rule out diabetes.

Since you have seen many specialists, I would suggest you to consult an infectious disease specialist. It would be ideal to consult your primary surgeon and take a referral to the specialist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.