Have abdominal pain below rib cage and radiating to shoulder. Back and front tender on palpitation. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Hi - I have left sided upper abdo pain - just below the rib cage - radiates into my back - but higher.
Both back and front are tender on palpation. Sort of feels like pinching in my back. Radiates up into L shoulder at times. No nausea/vomiting/diarhoea/weight loss. I am an ex smoker. I did have a few too many spirits at a function on Saturday night - any ideas. I have vaguely had this pain before but it has disappeared. I have a Dx of diverticulitis.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be musculoskeletal pain

Detailed Answer:
Pain in the upper abdomen radiating to the shoulder can be due to musckuloskeletal pain.
But,lesions of the diaphragm and its attachments have to be diagnosed by x XXXXXXX chest,CT scan of chest and abdomen.
Pain radiation can be due to lesions of diaphragm or its surrounding structures.
Diverticular disease can cause pain in abdomen,but radiation is rare.
I give skeletal muscle relaxant tablet initially along with Multivitamin tablets to my patients with similar complaints.
If there is no response i will investigate further.
Try these and get investigated if there is no response