Have abdominal pain, back pain at my spine, unusual stools, fatigue, laziness. Pancreatic cancer?

Oncologist
Question
I am a 42 year old male, generally very healthy. For the last 2 months i have abdominal pain, specific middle back pain at my spine, unusual stools (colour and consistency) and a generally feeling of fatigue and laziness, some subtle weight loss apprx. 5 lbs. I have had a colonoscopy, and gastropy (awaiting lab results) 2 abdominal ultrasounds, 2 different sets of comprehensive blood tests (incl. Lipase) and everything has come back normal. Any suggested next steps to determine diagnosis. Given the tests to date what is the likelihood this could be pancreatic cancer?
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Hi
Thanks for writing in.
The symptoms you have mentioned can be related to an occult malignancy. However, as all the results so far are normal the chances are low. For diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, ultrasound may not be enough and a CT scan is required. If the CT scan is also normal then the possibility of any intra-abdominal cancer will be extremely low. That also rules any other pancreatic pathology like chronic pancreatitis.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further followup queries, if any.

Follow-up: Have abdominal pain, back pain at my spine, unusual stools, fatigue, laziness. Pancreatic cancer? 41 minutes later
Thank you. I am booked for an mrcp/abdominal MRI on Tuesday. Assuming the results are normal what other causes could have similar symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Hi
Thanks for follow-up. I think the MRI/MRCP would suffice. If its normal then your doc may like to rule out some other problems like malabsorption syndrome.
Regards.