Have abdominal pain and watery diarrhoea. Was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis and tendency to GE reflux. Taken Budez

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I am 28 years old male. My problem started 2 years back, when I started getting pain in my left and upper abdomen after eating food. Ultra Sound and barium x-ray were normal. But Endoscopy and biopsy revealed eosinophilic esophagitis and tendency to GE reflux and lower esophageal ring. I was started on Budez CR and some other medicines and continued for about 6 months. Though the pain went away, i had a constant feeling of bloating during the course. After stopping the medicine, I was fine totally for about a year and a half and could eat all the normal vegetarian food (including dairy).I had a food allergy test done but it was negative for most common vegetarian foods. also i have tried to look for symptoms of allergy like rashes or sneezing but don't have any such symptoms.
Since last couple of days, my previous symptoms are back. Could it be because of allergy ot hyperacidity? I do not want to go back to taking steriods due its side effects. Can you please advise if there is another recourse, like diet elimination to determine the cause for permanent relief. Thanks.

I have had the abdominal pain since last two days but I am now getting watery diarrhea since morning, after eating food (even dal khichdi). Also, I do not have any fever right now"
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic
Eosinophilic esophagitis need not always be due to food allergens. Even acid reflux can cause it. As you have GE reflux and lower esophageal ring, you should try with acidity medicines like pantaprazole 40 mg or rabeprazole 20 mg daily once in the morning on empty stomach for atleast 2 weeks.
Once watery diarrhoea stops you can try combination of pantaprazole and domperidone combination (Pantocid DSR)
If the symptoms have been there only for 2 days, you should also rule out a gastroenteritis . Do you have fever?
Any blood or mucus in stools?
Did you eat outside recently ?
Hope this helped
I will be happy to answer any further queries you have .

Follow-up: Have abdominal pain and watery diarrhoea. Was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis and tendency to GE reflux. Taken Budez 2 hours later
hi,

Thanks for the information. I do not have any fever. Also there is no blood in the stool. I remember having some outside food and little alcohol. could Alcohol have been the cause? ( I drink occasionally, but not not more than 180 ml). I do have mild swallowing problem sometimes. (need a gulp of water to swallow first bite of food)

My concern is why did my problem relapse all of a sudden after a year and half. Could it be that i am intolerant towards certain food? Any kind of diet that i should follow to avoid occurrence in future?

I want to start exercising. Is it safe to consume protein supplements like Soy or Whey Protein ( i can consume dairy without issues but not sure if too much whey protein may lead to issues).

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 hours later
Welcome back,
Alcohol can cause worsening of gastro esophageal reflux and can cause severe gastritis and also loose motions if the gastritis is severe. Yes alcohol can cause this.I will advice you against taking alcohol in the future. Also avoid smoking if you smoke.
Don't be so sure that this is a relapse of your problem. It could be just an episode of gastritis brought on by alcohol. Diet causing eosinophilic esophagitis is subjective and depends from person to person. Your history becomes more important. You have tested for food allergies and have found that you are not allergic to the usual food you eat. So kindly restrict to the diet you have tested negative. Soy / Whey protein are common offenders. Why don't you increase the normal dairy you consume for more proteins.
So as told earlier you should try with acidity medicines like pantaprazole 40 mg or rabeprazole 20 mg daily once in the morning on empty stomach for atleast 2 weeks and see. If symptoms are not coming down , then only think of relapse.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.