Have abdominal pain. Urine culture shows 8-10 puss cells and few epithelial cells. Any advice?

Sep 2012

I have pain in abdomen and sometimes it feels streched. Urine culture shows 8-10 puss cells and few epithelial cells. Leucocytes count is slightly high at 0000 instead o range of 4000-0000. Pl advise
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 29 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

The symptom you told is very vague and common in many conditions. But in urine presence of pus cells indicates an urinary tract infection. Presence of epithelial cells in urine also supports this.

High wbc count also supports this infection. But to be more specific about this, you have to tell me the neutrophil count as a follow up question. In bacterial infection, neutrophil is increased in number. It is called neutrophilia.

You have to do the followings
1.     Take adequate amount of water.
2.     Take a balanced nutritious diet.
3.     Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug like aceclofenac / or antispasmodic drug like spasmoproxyvon if you feel any pain.
4.     Take a pantoprazole group of drug once a day before breakfast. If you feel nausea, then you have to take ondansetron group of drugs.
5.     Take a ciprofloxacin group of antibiotic for infection.

In our clinical experience, the above drugs are enough. You have to consult your family physician for a thorough clinical examination, dosing and frequency of the drugs mentioned above. If you do not get any relief by the above treatment, you have to consult an urologist for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.