Have abdominal pain. Taking galvus, diamicron and glycomet. Read vildagliptin can cause pancreatic cancer. Suggest?

I am taking galvus 50 mg twice with diamicron 60 mg and glycomet 500mg. I have read vildagliptin can cause pancreatic cancer. What alternative medicine i can take?
I was having pain in upper abdomen slightly on right side. For this i was taking Razo-D for 20 days but still feel pain. The pain is not of high intensity and sometimes goes away if i eat something...mostly experienced at night.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 7 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Vildagliptin is reported to cause inflammation of the pancreas(Acute Pancreatitis).

If you are experiencing abdominal which radiates to the back then it is most probably pancreatitis.

You need to undergo evaluation.

1. Serum amylase(Shows increase in the enzyme).

2. CT scan or MRI of the abdomen.

If you're proven to have pancreatitis then

1. Due to inflammation of the pancreas the insulin secreted by the pancreas may reduce. In this case Oral hypoglycemic agent will have a little role to play in controlling the blood sugar.

2. So you're left with insulin as the treatment of choice to control your blood sugar.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.