Have abdominal ache and back discomfort, weight loss, frequent and smelly bowel movement. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Persistent ache in abdominal area and back discomfort for 5 weeks, some weight loss about 6 lbs in a month, more frequent bowel movements becoming increasing pale and very smelly, urine normal, feel otherwise fit and well. discomfort worse in morning, gets better as day proceeds. Dr says nothing much to worry about, not sure about this, not getting better and history of pancreatic problems on mother's side of family
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Well, these are nonspecific symptoms,but it should not be ignored. it may indicate even some serious stomach, bowel or pancreatic disorders. Probably this is just benign bowel motility disorder(enterocolitis,IBD),gastritis or gallblader sissue,but since it last for so long and there is unexplained weight loss, I would recommend at least to do abdominal ultrasound, tumor markers and basic lab tests. Also, do stool blood analysis to rule out colon bleeding. Smelly stools and diarrheas may be caused by infection or apsorbtion disorder(mainly because of abnormal fat absorption as wee can see in some liver disease.)
Depending on these findings you can plan further treatment. till that try to have high fibre diet,drink plenty of fluids, avoid fatty and fried food,eat milk products and avoid alcohol. Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards
Follow-up: Have abdominal ache and back discomfort, weight loss, frequent and smelly bowel movement. Suggest? 2 hours later
Thank you. In addition to symptoms above I have just, in last day, had some sweats and have just woken up with a night sweat. Could this be another symptom and, if so, is it significant and something to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It is also nonspecific sign,but it may indicate that something is wrong. Night sweats associated with weight loss can suggest even some pretty serious diagnoses such as abdominal lymphomas. So I really suggest not to ignore all this and do gastroenterologic work up including abdominal CT scan. Tumors,cancers and lymphomas are the last thing to think of considering its rarity,but you should just start with some tests to see is there something worrying.